"The good news of the Gospel is that the triune God—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit— creates, redeems, sustains, rules, and transforms all things and all people. This one living God, the Scriptures say, liberated the people of Israel from oppression and covenanted to be their God. By the power of the Spirit, this one living God is incarnate in Jesus Christ, who came to live in the world, die for the world, and be raised again to new life. The Gospel of Jesus Christ announces the nearness of God’s kingdom, bringing good news to all who are impoverished, sight to all who are blind, freedom to all who are oppressed, and proclaiming the Lord’s favor upon all creation." from the Presbyterian Church (USA) Book of Order "Foundations of Presbyterian Polity"
A Missional Church...
- Proclaims in words and deeds and ways of being in the world that Jesus Christ is Lord of God’s New Reality of shalom, which God is working to bring about through Christ and inviting us to participate in through the Holy Spirit.
- Is a group of followers of Jesus Christ who offer themselves to God’s mission of redeeming and blessing the world, however that needs to occur in specific incarnate circumstances with unique individuals and social systems, as discerned through Holy Spirit.
- Knows God to be a sending God of love and justice who wants to extend those blessings to all of creation.
- Looks for the Holy Spirit at work in the world, not apart from it.
- Sees the culture as a mission field.
- Emphasizes discerning God’s will in particular situations.
- More... ("Theological Understandings of the Missional Church")